Friday, August 14, 2009

Top 100 Songs: 61-70

70. Hey Jude-The Beatles

I’ll be the first to admit that I’m not the biggest Beatles fan in the world. I generally find them (gasp) overrated. I say that not because there music isn’t good. Rather, I say it because people tend to poop themselves while trying to properly describe how the Beatles are bigger than Jesus. Their words, not mine. Nevertheless, this song is an exception, hence its placement on this list.

Favorite Lyric: “Hey Jude don’t let me down/You have found her now go and get her.”

69. Build Me Up Buttercup-The Foundations

Ahh, I like to call this the “happiest sad song in the world.” This song is so fun to sing along to, but the lyrics are depressing. Generally I cop an attitude when I feel like a song is not lyrically and musically consistent. However, this song is so fun and likeable that I cannot complain.

Favorite Lyric: “I’ll be home I’ll be beside the phone waiting for you.”

68. Believe-Cher

If random strangers in DC call me out for being gay without knowing me, then this song should not come as a surprise.

Favorite Lyric: “But after all is said and done you’re gonna be the lonely one.”

67. And Then He Kissed Me-The Crystals

This song is one of the “happiest happy songs in the world.” The consistency gives it an edge over The Foundations .

Favorite Lyric: Nothing jumps out this time, but I like it all.

66. Why-Annie Lennox

Annie Lennox has one of the most haunting and expressive voices in the music industry. Her husky contralto actually made me think a man was singing the Lord of the Rings song. Not like that’s a bad thing. Anyway, this song is my favorite and it seems to suit her voice very well.

Favorite Lyric: “WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY”

65. Silver Lining-Rilo Kiley

So, I would call myself a spiteful person in certain circumstances. I think this is a spiteful song. Beautiful, but spiteful.

Favorite Lyric: “And I never felt so wicked as when I willed our love to die.”

Almost Picked: Portions for Foxes

64. Folsom Prison Blues-Johnny Cash

This song really only works if you listen to the live track from Folsom Prison. I think Cash really managed to capture the spirit of the prisoners and you can hear it in their reaction.

Favorite Lyric: “But I shot a man in Reno just to watch him die”

Almost Picked: “Ring of Fire”

63. Give Me One Reason-Tracy Chapman

Tracy Chapman is the second lady in this segment with a bit of a tranny voice. Again, I mean that as a compliment. This song is blues perfection and Chapman gives a soulful vocal

Favorite Lyric: “But I’m too old to go chasin’ you around wasting my precious energy.”

62. Worn Me Down-Rachel Yamagata

I liked this song before it was turned into an a cappella arrangement at my university. As mentioned in the last segment, I can succinctly describe my feelings for this song as, “unrequited love sad bacon” minus the “bacon.”

Favorite Lyric: “But I’m so tired of thinking about her again tonight.”

61. Back in Black-AC/DC

Finally, a hard rock group actually rocking out. Oh man this song is all sorts of awesome. I don’t know how Brian Johnson managed to scream for four minutes straight. Plus this was used in an Alias episode that almost made me think hetero thoughts. Almost.

Favorite Lyric: “I’ve got nine lives, cats eyes”

No comments:

Post a Comment