Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Top 100 Songs: 31-40

40. Wide Open Spaces-The Dixie Chicks

I think this song hit me at just the right time in my life. I was making an important transition and, although I had heard this song before, something about the way it spoke to the fear and thrill of the unknown really got to me.

Favorite Lyric: “Who doesn’t know what I’m talking about/Who’s never left home, who’s never struck out?”

39. Together Again-Janet Jackson

Tattoo take three. I really think this is the last time I’ll be cryptic, I promise

Favorite Lyric: “I can see your star shining down on me”

38. Come On Over Baby (All I Want is You)-Christina Aguilera

Ahh, Ms. Aguilera. Although I respect how she constantly redefines herself, I like her first incarnation the best. Aka the teen pop one. Aka the one that makes me feel like a thirteen year old girl. I have maturity issues. Short sentences. Great song.

Favorite Lyric: “I’m not just talking about your sexuality.”

Almost Picked: Beautiful

37. Dancing Queen-ABBA

I would like to cite my justification for Cher’s Believe at this juncture. Gay man. It’s sort of Pavlovian, really.

Favorite Lyric: “Anybody could be that guy/The night is young and the music’s high.”

36. Make You Feel My Love-Adele

Although there are a million versions of this song, originally recorded by Bob Dylan, I prefer Adele’s rendition. I think the song was written as a love song, but Adele manages to capture a hidden sorrow. A (you guessed it) sense of unrequited love that other versions seem to miss.

Favorite Lyric: “I’d go crawling down the avenue/No there’s nothing that I wouldn’t do to make you feel my love.”

35. Have a Little Faith in Me-John Hiatt

This song is both very sad and very comforting at the same time. I think it’s the way it (much like the previous song) toes the line between a love song and a plea. Unlike the Adele song, this one manages to work both ways at the same time.

Favorite Lyric: “When the tears you cry are all you can believe”

34. Like You’ll Never See Me Again-Alicia Keys

Alicia Keys has perhaps one of the best voices in the music industry today. Additionally, she writes her own songs and plays the piano. She’s one effing talented lady. I feel like I’ve gotten to a point with this list where I can just name songs and you all can tell me why I like them. Any guesses?

Favorite Lyric: “Love me like you’ll never see me again.”

33. Gold Digger-Kanye West

This is the most highly ranked rap song on the list and probably one of the most commercially successful rap songs of all time. It’s also a lot of fun.

Favorite Lyric: “If you ain’t no punk, holla WE WANT PRE-NUP!”

32. Who Knew-P!nk

RECURRING THEMES GALORE!! And I’m done with the cap locks. Sorry, people annoyed by upper case letters. To date this remains P!nk’s most emotional and honest performance. Remember when I said no more tattoo references? Well, I lied. I guess I forgot how many songs make me think of that.

Favorite Lyric: “I wish I could touch you again/I wish I could still call you a friend.”

31. Cry Baby-Janis Joplin

Janis Joplin might have my favorite voice of all time. It’s so authentic and powerful that I almost can’t deal with it. This song is a great showcase for such a tremendous instrument.

Favorite Lyric: The chorus! “CRY CRY BABYYYYYY.”

No comments:

Post a Comment