Thursday, August 20, 2009

Top 100 Songs: 11-20

We’re down to the wire, people! Only a few songs left, and (clearly) the best are yet to come.

20. Bachelorette-Bjork

Bjork is weird. Understatement of my life, but she’s a strange creature. For me, sometimes she just sounds like a hot mess. Other times, however, she manages to create moods that other artists cannot even hope to achieve. To me, this is her at her most expressive, creative, and exotic.

Favorite Lyric: “I’m a fountain of blood in the shape of a girl/You’re the bird on the brim hypnotized by the whirl.”

Almost Picked: Human Behaviour.

19. The Rose-Bette Midler

Simple. Beautiful. Layered. I just love this song. Way to go Bette, especially since I find most of her music to be adult contemporary bull crap.

Favorite Lyric: “And the soul afraid of dying that never learns to live.”

18. Crazy Ex-Girlfriend-Miranda Lambert

If Coat of Many Colors was my objective favorite, then this song is my subjective favorite. Think of this as a version of Before He Cheats with actual emotion and believability. Sorry Underwood, you’re too much of a robot with your personality to sell vengeful spite like Lambert.

Favorite Lyric: "Somebody tell that girl to step up to the plate I'm gonna pitch. Little bitch."

17. Like a Rolling Stone-Bob Dylan

I wrote a paper on this song. The prompt was, “If you could send one song to be discovered by alien life that would most accurately encompass American music, what would you choose and why.” I think that justifies its placement here. This song completely and utterly revolutionized popular music.

Favorite Lyric: “Now you don’t seem so proud about having to be scrounging for your next meal.”

16. Falling Slowly-Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova

I said Broadway/musical songs were ineligible before. This song technically counts because it appeared on The Frames 2006 album, The Swell Season, before the movie Once was released. Take that, self-imposed rules!

Favorite Lyric: “I don’t know you but I want you all the more for that.”

15. Hallelujah-Jeff Buckley

Buckley’s version is the best version of this song. I dare you to debate that. Spiritual, haunting, and powerful.

Favorite Lyric: “She tied you to her kitchen chair/she broke your throne and she cut your hair/And from your lips she drew the hallelujah.”

14. Can’t Help Falling in Love-Elvis Presley

This is my favorite love song of all time, bar none. This shouldn’t be confused with my favorite song about love. Very different subjects, I’ll have you know.

Favorite Lyric: “Wise men say only fools rush in but I can’t help falling in love with you.”

13. Y Yo Sigo Aquí-Paulina Rubio

Una de mis canciones favoritas por su uso de insinuación sexual. Y que Paulina es una diosa. Sorry if my rusty Spanish is jank.

Letra favorita: “Si a ti te gusta morder el mango bien madurito”

12. Don’t Stop Believin’-Journey

Best sing along song of all time. It’s epic, really. It’s also the first song that kicked off my huge 80s craze many years ago.

Favorite Lyric: “Paying anything to roll the dice just one more time.”

11. Will You Be There-Michael Jackson

Yes, it’s the Free Willy song. Yes, I could have picked a million other MJ songs. Yes, it’s a tad sappy. None of these things matter to me, because this song pierces my heart in about twenty seconds. Also, it has a boat-load of key changes. Awesome.

Favorite Lyric: “But they told me a man should be faithful and walk when not able and fight ‘til the end but I’m only human.”

No comments:

Post a Comment