Friday, August 21, 2009

Single Review: Million Dollar Bill

Requester: The all powerful and generally idiotic Clive Davis. AKA nobody. Just this guy again.

Well, Whitney has an official single once again. Apparently I Didn’t Know My Own Strength is not the lead single from her upcoming release, I Look to You. THANK GOD! The good news here is that her official single, Million Dollar Bill, is considerably better than that strength cliché song. It has the potential to succeed on the radio. Also, restores my once shattered faith in her next CD. The bad news is that it’s not nearly as perfect as I would have hoped. I think expectations were dauntingly high, but with a seven year hiatus, one would think that something a little more substantial would come out of the Houston hits factory.

I think the best part is that her voice, albeit not as technically stunning as it used to be, finally has something she originally lacked: soul. Her singing is full of grit and character and I feel much more connected to her voice than I ever have before. Granted, she can’t hold notes quite as long, nor is her tone as strikingly pristine as it used to be, but I think the pros outweigh the cons. Furthermore, she’s still one of the best singers in popular music.

The flip side is that the song is sort of ordinary. I do think the chorus is incredibly catchy, but the verses and the bridge are unmemorable. Also, the song feels very short. Perhaps it’s a compliment to say it felt like it ended too soon, but in this case I feel like the writer’s just got lazy.

Overall, I recommend the song. It’s fun, upbeat, and is unmistakably Whitney. However, with seven years to work, she could have really knocked it out of the park.

Rating: 3/5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment