Monday, August 17, 2009

Top 100 Songs: 51-60

60. (Sweet Sweet Baby) Since You’ve Been Gone-Aretha Franklin

The queen of soul. Her voice could make Walt Disney’s frozen corpse dance. I don’t really know why I prefer this song to some of her other greatest hits. I just do.

Favorite Lyric: “I’ve just been so blue since you’ve been gone” more for the way she sings it than anything else.

Almost Picked: Chain of Fools, Respect, or Natural Woman. They’re all great

59. Moon River-Barbra Streisand

I like Babs’ version more than any of the other versions for a few reasons. One, she’s a chick. I’ve already made it clear how I prefer women with respect to music. Two, the original version of this song comes from a female so I feel like it’s truer to the original. Three, she does manage to go a whole two minutes before going over the top. Although I don’t really like that part, I think the other benefits of this version outweigh the cons.

Favorite Lyric: “There’s such a lot of world to see.”

58. Stand By Your Man-Tammy Wynette

Such a classic. I would like to take a moment to defend this song. I think some people read far too into this song and label it a way of encouraging women to stay with abusive men. I disagree. I think it’s simply a song about love triumphing over any “rough patches” a relationship might encounter. That’s all.

Favorite Lyric: I mean the best part of this song is pretty obvious.

57. C’est la Vie-B*Witched.

STOP JUDGING ME!

Favorite Lyric: “I’ll show you mine if you show me yours.”

Almost Picked: Never Had a Dream Come True-S Club 7

56. Tears in Heaven-Eric Clapton

Tattoo.

Favorite Lyric: “And I know there’ll be no more tears in heaven”

55. Crazy-Patsy Cline

Patsy Cline is my favorite country singer of all time. Her voice is just so emotive I could pee. This song is unique in that it’s the only downward key change I’ve ever encountered in a song. Holla!

Favorite Lyric: “What in the word did I do”

Almost Picked: “Walkin’ After Midnight.”

54. Creep-Radiohead

I think at some point everybody has identified with this song. If not, you’re a robot.

Favorite Lyric: “I want a perfect body I want a perfect soul.”

53. With or Without You-U2

Ah another pristine example of a song building to an emotional climax. By the time the song hits the three minute mark, the anguish is palpable. However, the band doesn’t give it away up front. The arrangement, vocal, and lyrics all work to push towards a huge catharsis. Beautiful.

Favorite Lyric: “On a bed of nails she makes me wait.”

52. Always-Bon Jovi

SURPRISE! One of my favorite songs and favorite key changes was booted for this gem. Again, we have a hard rock group showing off their tender side AND unrequited love. It’s an irresistible one-two punch for this dude.

Favorite Lyric: “I wish I was him ‘cause those words were mine.”

Almost Picked: Livin’ on a Prayer

51. A Broken Wing-Martina McBride

Thanks for this one, American Idol. I’ve heard at least three contestants perform this gem and none of them have come close to the original. You can thank Martina for that. Plus this song has a great message.

Favorite Lyric: “He said only angels know how to fly.”

Almost Picked: Concrete Angel

No comments:

Post a Comment