Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Single Review: Boom Boom Pow

Requester: LK

Well, it was bound to happen sooner or later. I open myself up to recommendations from my peers in order to broaden my horizons, and someone suggests something as ridiculous as Boom Boom Pow. To me, asking for a Boom Boom Pow review is analogous to a student asking a teacher a question the teacher doesn’t know the answer to—something the student knows before asking the question. The goal isn’t to learn from the question. The goal is to watch the teacher squirm as he or she fumbles in front of everyone. I suspect this request was made to chuckle at my serious treatment of Boom Boom Pow.

Well, that being said, I’m going to do my best to analyze this track. This song is an exercise in extremes. The lyrics are so meaningless and empty that there’s literally no emotion tied to this song. However, the beat and production on this track are so futuristic and creative that the lyrics almost don’t matter. It’s as if the words in Boom Boom Pow only serve to prevent the song from being solely instrumental. Although the lyrics are nonsensical, that doesn’t mean that there aren’t some clever turns of phrase. I particularly enjoy, “I’m so 3008, you’re so 2000 and late.”

Boom Boom Pow’s real power comes from its beat—an eclectic, occasionally sparse, maddeningly danceable creation from Will.i.am. No matter how shallow one might think this track is, it’s very difficult not to find a way to dance to it. I think that speaks well to the Black Eyed Peas’ craftsmanship. They’ve been very candid, especially Will, when describing The E.N.D. It’s not an album. It’s a compilation of singles. They would like nothing more than for us to download our favorite tracks and get funky. To that end, Boom Boom Pow is a success. The Peas only wanted to create a fun single that would be successful on the charts. Needless to say, they’ve dramatically succeeded. After all, Boom Boom Pow is pretty 3008.

Rating: 3/5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment