Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Top 10 Movies of the Decade

So, I'm still catching up on Oscar season. Ergo, my Top 10 Films of 2009 will have to wait a month or so. But I can safely say that the following ten films are my favorites from this decade. Again, there won't be lengthy analysis. Two apps down, two to go!

10. Mean Girls
I had to pick one teen/romantic(ish) comedy. Go ahead, name a better one from the past ten years.

9. The Dark Knight
Superheros were a big thing this decade. This movie was the biggest and best of them all. Pure movie entertainment at its finest.

8. Chicago
There were a lot of musicals released this decade, but only two had a chance to make my list: Moulin Rouge and Chicago. Although I love Rouge for its whimsy and romanticism, the topicality of Chicago is brilliant. Today's fame whoring culture is a direct reflection of the world created in Chicago.

7. Wall-E
A lot of lists disagree on the best Pixar movie of the decade. I think that speaks to the quality of the studio. I choose Wall-E. Not only does it have the heart of other Pixar movies, but its topical message of environmentalism and the poetic opening 30 minutes give this movie the edge.

6. Kill Bill

Yes, I'm listing them as one movie. I feel like I can do this because that was Tarantino's original intention. Wild, fun, horrifying, violent, tender, and everything in between. Objectively, I would give this spot to Vol. 2. But Vol. 1 is much more fun, so I'll keep them paired together.

5. There Will Be Blood
Although I didn't appreciate it initially, time has been very good to this film. Definitely the most interesting character study I've seen. Plus, it would win my own personal award for best score and best performance of this decade.

4. Brokeback Mountain
The heartbreaking love story of the decade. Incredible cinematography, a wonderful script, and excellent performances. I'm still pissed Michelle Williams didn't win an Oscar.

3. The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
Although the ending is drawn out, this is the perfect conclusion to an incredible movie trilogy. Epic in every sense of the word.

2. Requiem for a Dream
You only need to see this movie once, but it haunts you forever.

1. Pan's Labyrinth
A dark, fantasy piece set inside a child's imagination. Or is it? Visually stunning, brilliantly acted, and incredibly powerful. On a side note, it's a terrible date movie. Trust me.

No comments:

Post a Comment