Sunday, December 29, 2013

Reviews of 2013 Movies (in Tweet form)

Hello everyone!

I've been the most delinquent ever, but what's new?  I saw a fair amount of movies in 2013, but I've been bad about film watching...for a variety of reasons I won't list here.  Anyway, I'm going to try to remember the movies I did see and review them in ~140 characters.

American Hustle

Great acting, great styling, not much going for story.  Adams and Lawrence shine brightest  Oh, and Cooper's perm.  That is nuts.

Rating: 3.5/5 stars

Anchorman 2

Stupid as shit, but in a way that you'd expect.  Original is actually more cohesive as a film.  Carrell walks away with movie.

Rating: 2/5 stars

Blue Jasmine

Cate is great.  But not much else lands.  Sort of boring, actually?  The acting is strong, but I can't actually remember anything else

Rating: 2.5/5 stars

Frozen

My inner teenage girl was delighted.  Like a throwback to Disney of the 90s.  Slightly predictable at times, but I'd watch again.  And again.

Rating: 4.5/5 stars

Fruitvale Station

The audience sat in silence for several minutes after film concluded.  Powerful stuff.  Michael B Jordan is excellent.

Rating: 4/5 stars

Gravity

Sure, the whole backstory aspect feels a little unnecessary, but full of virtuoso filmmaking.  Rare film that doesn't make me hate 3D.

Rating: 4.5/5 stars

The Heat

I sort of respect a movie that doesn't try to be more important than it is (cough Saving Mr. Banks).  It's dumb, silly, but McCarthy is a hoot.

Rating: 2.5/5 stars

The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug

Much better than first Hobbit, just fine overall.  Weird romance subplot, IMO.  Oh, didn't know there was a third planned.  Felt blue balled.

Rating: 3/5 stars

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire

Ending felt rushed. Solid filmmaking otherwise.  Lawrence is a star, and strong supporting turns all around.  Team Peeta, for what it's worth.

Rating: 3.5/5 stars

Saving Mr. Banks

Good to see Thompson working again.  Ending feels odd, given the whole build up.  Colin Farrell is best part of the film, shocker!

Rating: 3/5 stars

DID I ONLY SEE TEN MOVIES THIS YEAR?  WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH ME?  WHICH FILMS DID I FORGET?

No comments:

Post a Comment